Sunday 10 October 2021

Castor beans for mole control

 
 
If you don’t have small children or small pets and have a mole problem in your backyard area you may want to consider growing castor bean plants.

Living near a creek I tend to have a mole problem, especially if the previous season was rainy. Needless to say, this year the yard looks like a landmine hit it. I have mole hills everywhere. Besides creating more work for me it can prevent drainage in the yard. So the moles have to go.

You can get mole poison and set up traps but I have found growing castor beans works very well and they are beautiful. But they are poisonous. So you may want to consider growing them or just growing them in a fenced area.

Castor beans will help rid the yard of moles for a two-acre area and the effects will last for a few years. I am not sure of all the reasons it works but I have heard the roots put a taste in the soil that affects a very large area. All I know is when I grow them I have no moles.

Castor bean have a hard shell so soak the seeds first. I also plant them indoors so that I can give then a head start in a warm climate and move them outdoors later.

And although I do not have children I tend to plant the plants behind a fence.

Castor beans have a tropical look and there are several varieties to choose from. I usually grow several kinds just because I like the looks of the plant.




No comments:

Post a Comment

Castor beans for mole control

    If you don’t have small children or small pets and have a mole problem in your backyard area you may want to consider growing castor bea...